Donate to MySahana MySahana on Pinterest MySahana on Twitter MySahana on Facebook MySahana on YouTube MySahana RSS

Emotion Suppression: Effects on Mental and Physical Health

May 16, 2011 · 24 Comments

anger faceSometimes when we experience a trauma such as a car accident, witnessing violence or abuse, our minds protect ourselves by shutting off our emotions. The same way our pain receptors shut off to manage intense pain, our mind suppresses strong, negative emotions during times of crises to protect our well-being.

However, suppressing your emotions consciously and deliberately in times when there is no trauma (e.g. death of a family member, loss of a job, argument with a spouse, anxiety for a test, etc.) can lead to damaging effects on your mind and body. Emotion suppression, which essentially is an avoidance of emotion, is a coping strategy that many people employ mistakenly thinking it is healthy or the right thing to do.

Common signs that you use emotion suppression as a coping strategy include

* distracting yourself as a way to keep yourself from reacting

* avoiding talking about the situation because you don’t want to feel negative emotion

* avoiding places, people or objects that remind you of the negative emotions you don’t want to feel

* using substances (such as alcohol or other illicit drugs) to numb the pain

Many cultures, including South Asian culture, believe that emotion suppression is a particularly masculine quality and that emotion expression qualifies you as weak. Unfortunately, no matter how highly it is valued, avoiding your emotions never makes them go away and makes it more difficult for you to manage a similar situation were it to happen in the future.

Research has shown that suppressing or avoiding your emotions in fact can make them stronger. For example, if you are sad because a family member passed away but want to avoid feeling the sadness, you may watch happy movies, try to keep your day as normal as possible and may even talk to friends as if nothing happened. However, the sadness is still present in your mind and a small hiccup in the day may cause you to seemingly overreact to the situation. Even if the object of your emotion is different, this is your body’s way of releasing the pent up emotions. Just as emotion suppression is your body’s way of -protecting you during a trauma, emotion release in a non-traumatic situation is your body’s way of protecting itself from further damage.

Effects of consistent emotion suppression include increased physical stress on your body, including high blood pressure, increased incidence of diabetes and heart disease. In addition, people who engage in emotion suppression regularly rare more likely to experience stiff joints, bone weakness and more illnesses due to lowered immunity.

Research has also shown a connection between avoiding emotions and poor memory as well as more misunderstandings in conversations with others. This is because people who regularly suppress emotion are often less aware of the signals they are sending to others and also less aware of the social cues present in daily conversation. In addition, when one or both partners engage in regular emotion suppression, communication skills often decline resulting in unhealthy relationship patterns and decreased satisfaction in the marriage.

Finally, men and women who avoid emotions, especially negative ones, are more likely to experience high anxiety and depression in their lifetime.

While emotion expression is not always socially appropriate (e.g. you may not be able to burst into tears if in a job interview if you get negative feedback), the importance is to be able to find a time soon after the situation to express your emotions in a healthy manner.

For tips and guidance on how to best manage your emotions, please contact a local mental health professional for a consultation.

How do you manage your emotions? Please leave your ideas below.

Related Articles:

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

24 responses so far ↓

• Dwayne K Jackson // September 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Reply

i bottle my emotions ever since i was young and at the age of 21 im starting to see the effects of bottling your emotions. its really frustrating at times especially when it comes to sex. the anxiety just overcomes you and puts you in a bad spot. ever heard of performance anxiety? well, bottling your emotions makes that more of a problem then ever. I cant ever do what i want because of this anxiety and really is starting to piss me off. im writing this comment in hopes that men and women can avoid shruging off their emotions like they are nothing, a habit that is viewed highly in society. That will affect you later in life.
    Excuse my grammer english isnt my first language.

• Chuck // December 25, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Reply

I seem to turn off my emotions and blank out I dont worry about much I dont cry I dont let things bother me never have and dont think I ever will .Is there something wrong with blanking out or is that what they call serpressing emotions .I have been told it is bad for my health but I have never been sick nor am I on any medications and I am 63 going on 64 .Am I normal what ever that is ?

• ron // May 4, 2013 at 8:28 am | Reply

i’m suffering from anxiety disorder nd depression.i was unable to form and maintain relationships with people,unable to form bonds.i wanted to but cud not.i cud not understand others’ emotions and also had a tough time understanding mine.i had no social or to be precise no emotional is not that i was emotionless but cud never understand them.this unexprssed emotional build up throughout my childhood slowly and steadily formed an anxiety disorder and depression.i wanted an answer and doubted that i wasn’t leading an emotionally healthy life.after reading this piece of info i’m sure it was a case of emotional i was reading i could actually recall that yes this is what was happening.i unconsciously avoided my emotions cause of some irrational fears,and then slowly started avoiding people nd social events as well.

Now that after so much suffering, having realized the problem i hope now i can correct it,be more accepting to my emotions and release them and be free and happy.

• anti snoring // May 28, 2013 at 5:50 am | Reply

Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just
    your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all.
    But just imagine if you added some great photos or video clips to
    give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent
    but with pics and clips, this site could certainly be one of the greatest in its field.

Wonderful blog!

• buy ageless male // May 29, 2013 at 3:39 am | Reply

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.
    This sort of clever work and exposure! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve included you guys to my own blogroll.

• mark randall lamoste // June 8, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Reply

more often, im having emotional suppression and try to escape the reality by listening to negative thoughts or social problems that i engaged into. evenhtough im reading some articles about this issues and even coolecting advicers from manyu friends, i still can not able to cope up with and cant express my emmotions against my father. me and my dad dont have a good relationship since childhood. He is alcoholic, smoking, a high school graduate and dont even like to accept defeats, suggestions, and comments. If u wished to argue to him, he burst-out and gone wild like breaking al the figurines inside our house and it made me scared fron then on. I cant express my emotions towards him because im scared. i used to elude or make excuses not to communicate with him due to my wrath and anger to him. What shall i do?

• chris // October 29, 2013 at 10:24 am | Reply

i’m not like many people i live by bearing my burdens and stresses alone. i NEVER tell anyone when I am feeling down. I have been suppressing my emotions and at times i feel my Anger on the verge of exploding into extreme rage. i do my best to bat back this rage, and frustration I’ve held for years. If I explode in Rage i’ll hurt many peoples feelings. i still feel angry at my father.

• Jonas // November 11, 2013 at 9:02 am | Reply

Hi Mark! My father is somewhat similar to yours, at least he has some common personality traits. And I used to avoid communicating with him, just like you. I found myself waiting for him to take the initiative, before understood that if a change was going to happen, I had to make it happen. So I started making these walks with him. And I focused really hard on avoiding putting blame. I only told him what I felt, in situations that had occured from childhood unitl now, basically what was on my heart.
    I wanted to avoid agitating him, and at the same time teaching myself and him to express emotions in a good way. We are still in this process and it has been really hard. But I think i can see some change in the positive direction.

• Any // May 20, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Reply

I need help with a situation. I’ve been bottling up emotions for the past. It’s about an awkward situation with a “friend” whom I talk with outside of school but in school choose to ignore each other. We treat each other almost like ghosts with a occasional yet awkward meetings of the eyes which we both then turn away from one another. I want to talk to him about it but I’m not sure how he will to take it or how to even present the situation from my point of view. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Levi // September 2, 2014 at 1:30 am | Reply

Im 17 and for as long as I can remember I have just not felt any emotions accept anger and sadness i dont want pity I just wanna know what is going on and if anyone else out there is like me … I also have problems relating to people just in general because I dont feel happy or interested in anything ever

• Levi // September 2, 2014 at 1:33 am | Reply

Addition- I haven’t ever had any big trauma accept when my grandma died (we were extremely close) but even when she passed I didn’t feel a thing

• anxiety girl // October 22, 2014 at 4:40 am | Reply

I feel anxious. I feel like ill collapse sooon if i dont anything about it.
    i keep thinking and i find it hard to concentrate on simple day to day things.
    its increasing day by day.

I have an exam comming up in december. I am a very determined human being but this time i just feel lost and anxious :(

• hari // October 27, 2014 at 11:35 am | Reply

Controlling emotions was a usual practice for me from my father was a too stub on kind of person and had always suppressed me through out my life.I was so sick mentally that I wanted my partner to be a simple and lovable girl.but I got a wife who have a disorder.she is more violent than father it seems and shouts and make violent actions in public for very silly reasons not only with me but with the state is like there’s nobody to discuss and I have keep silent.this is happening to me for many years. I think the only way out is to become a saint and meditate for the rest of my life.

• Tanner // October 29, 2014 at 9:21 am | Reply

I suppress them

• Displays of Emotion // October 30, 2014 at 8:06 am | Reply

Society has empirically depended on young men to things shit done. This means you want men who are strong; they are willing to get the job done at any cost. Emotions are seen as distractions. How can a man do his work if he is focused on “petty” things like emotions? Emotions are also mechanics of empathy. When a man cries, it implies he is lacking of self-sufficiency. He is therefore viewed as weak and disgraceful. After years of society propagating this mentality, we, as men, are taught to be cold and unfeeling. “Hide whatever you’re feeling, we need you for a job.” Despite that, we’re still humans. We need to feel. That said, I don’t know if it will ever be acceptable for men to express emotion in public, but in confidence amongst trusted friends and family, it’s almost a necessity.

Displays of Emotion

• hashim // November 22, 2014 at 2:12 am | Reply

I think you are taking risk. in my opinion, you should not live with your wife anymore if she affect your mental health negatively.

• isabelle // January 11, 2015 at 10:54 pm | Reply

My entire life all I’ve ever done is bottle up emotions. It either isn’t the right time for me to feel it, I’m afraid to feel it, or I just dont want too. My whole life my mother has also been on drugs, or drinking I’ve had to take care of my siblings at a young age and over all grow up way too quickly. I have this constant anxiety of never being accepted and I’m never enough. All in all I’ve been to therapists. Ive done the programs. Nothing will work if you won’t open yourself to the idea of getting better. Its always been “you’re being dramatic” “quit doing that” I’m not allowed to be anything but happy for the people around me and if I do I’m wrong… What kind of life is that…. None. No life. So please if you’re reading this and you’re guilty of suppressing feelings… Its ok to be not ok sometimes… Just open yourself up.

• jyot // January 28, 2015 at 10:25 am | Reply

I m doing research on emotions.This is very valuable article for me.This is really very interesting.I need more information and please put the proper references of the article.thanks

• Naro // February 8, 2015 at 10:41 pm | Reply

I’ve never been able to make my own choice for my own future without my mother somehow countering or contradicting my choice.She often compares me with my siblings and never gives me an opportunity to explain to and tell her my thoughts and feelings.Even when I get to say something,she cuts in the middle of my sentence.We had a fight recently because I wanted to attend Vocational colleges since I really couldn’t study in Science division (I’m not sure the correct word for it,English isn’t my first language) and even after doing so much research and telling her all the pros and cons word by word,she went on the Internet and found less than 5 negative comments from people about vocational colleges and believed those comments wholeheartedly.What really got me upset was when she told me not to believe things you read about on the net,even right after she did that.This just adds to all my pent up anger towards everyone who’s doubted my decisions and I just couldn’t keep the anger buried far in the back of my mind…This wasn’t the first time she told me to “forget about it”,but it got me very frustrated and angry…I’ve been keeping these emotions away for almost 10 years and am now 16…from the start,the emotions have caused me to be unable to have a normal social life and unable to make many good choices,but I’m sure the most recent choice is the best.

• Navneet // February 10, 2015 at 3:38 am | Reply

I think we all intentionally or unintentionally suppress our emotions. To an extent it is okay but the real trouble starts when we make it a habit. Person tends to lost his/her confidence and become cold from inside. It is a very sad but dangerous state of mind where you are left with no feelings.

• Darshika Upadhyay // April 7, 2015 at 6:35 am | Reply

I loved a boy since my childhood but i was unable to express my feelings to him.I expressed my feelings to him when i came in contact with him last year after a long time then i came to know that he is getting married since then i was in depression .Pls suggest me how to overcome this

• Kayla S // June 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Reply

who wrote this? I am using this for a research paper. I need to know ASAP

• Janie // August 7, 2015 at 12:13 am | Reply

What about the people who dont want others to know their pain? People aren’t exactly easy to trust nowadays and run at the first sign of trouble. I have been hospitalized for suicidal tendencies and lashing out. But now, I dont tell anyone I’m hurting or upset or anything like that. Its pointless. No one else really cares about your problems. Best to just keep them to yourself

• Hunter // October 12, 2015 at 9:37 pm | Reply

I’m 15 years old, when I was younge living with my father and mother before they divorced I wasn’t allowed to show emotion or I would be punished, so I was sorta forced to suppress my emotions. As I was growing up more stuff was going parent problems, girls, fights, etc I continued to suppress my emotions and eventually tried to end my own life. My mother put me through counseling and what not but I would not talk about how I felt, I didn’t want to look weak. The point is now I can’t do social things. I’m too afraid to make friends because I know they will eventually be torn from me one way or another. I’m too scared to start conversations with people and I lost the one girl that matters most because I am too afraid to talk all because I hide my emotions constantly. If anyone is reading this please don’t be afraid to suppress your emotions. It might make you look strong but your really just fucking up your life like I might have if I don’t find a way to fix myself.